Author Topic: V-4 break-in  (Read 3238 times)

Mayhugh1

• View Profile
    • Email
V-4 break-in
« on: July 16, 2011, 12:35:51 PM »
I'm now at the point in my V4 where I am running it with an electric motor (similar to the set-up used by the Craftsmanship museum guys) to seat the pistons. I don't yet have the distributor or radiator completed but everything else is assembled and working. What I don't understand is what I should expect for oil being blown past the rings in this test. I am running with the PCV valve removed as well as the camshaft tappets and guides and so there is little crankcase pressure. (There are HUGE pressure pulses with them installed but I think this is normal for this type of engine and the reason for the double outlet PCV valve.) The head are installed and the valves are installed but the rocker arms are out so the valves are just there to block air flow, but the spark plug ports are also open. I guess I was expecting to see no oil being blown out the spark plug ports after the engine had been run this way for a few hours. But I am seeing a total loss of about 25mL of oil from the 50 mL I start out with after running for 2000 rpm for an hour. Can anyone shed light on this? Is this normal? I made a new set of rings after getting this result the first time but now I am seeing the same thing with the second set of rings. I'm not sure if this is an expected result for this test or not and I don't want to go any further in the construction until I've solved it if I do have a problem. The rings, pistons, and liners are spot on the target designs within a few tenths. Any comments are appreciated. - Terry

TURTLEHEAD

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: V-4 break-in
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 10:39:18 AM »
 I ALSO EXPERIENCED THE SAME PROBLEM WITH THE V TWIN AND V 4. IT SEEMS TO ME, ONLY THE RIGHT SIDE VIEWED FROM FLYWHEEL END IS GETTING THE OIL ACCUMULATION. I ATTRIBUTE THE COUNTERCLOCKWISE ROTATION OF THE ENGINE IS FLINGING OIL IN THE RIGHT BANK OF CYLINDERS BUT NOT THE LEFT. THE CORRECT AMOUNT OF OIL IS BEING MAINTAINED IN THE CRANCASE. I DO NOT HAVE ANY SOLUTIONS AT THIS TIME, BUT I AM CONFIDENT THE ROTATION AND RIGHT BANK CYLINDERS (OIL ACCUMULATION) ARE RELATED. HOPEFULLY, SOMEONE WILL SOLVE THIS ISSUE