Author Topic: Photo of "Western Electric" Telegraph Key & Sounder  (Read 8515 times)

ahowell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Photo of "Western Electric" Telegraph Key & Sounder
« on: October 14, 2009, 08:33:23 PM »
"The telegraph was the only long distance instant communication device until radio and other means came along. Railroads were always the largest users of the telegraph and utilized them for more than a century. The railroads would have had a very hard time operating safely and efficiently without them.

The full size plans will allow you to make an exact replica of the key and sounder. The photo above is the 'real thing' antique originals. The originals were made in a time when quality was of prime importance and esthetics ran a close second! These instruments were made of brass and steel, as were all maner of other types of instruments. You will want to make yours of these materials as well." - Jerry

Here's a photo of the units:
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 07:57:23 PM by ahowell »

Kory

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Photo of "Western Electric" Telegraph Key & Sounder
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 02:16:04 PM »
Allen,

I am interested in buying these plans, but I was wondering if you have more pictures (and larger pictures) of the key? I plan to use it with my Ham Radio, so I want to see how it works and what settings can be adjusted. Does it use a spring for return/tension or a magnet?

Thanks,
Kory
AC6RN

ahowell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Photo of "Western Electric" Telegraph Key & Sounder
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 03:38:44 PM »
Hello Cory,

If you go to the new site, www.model-engine-plans.com and pull up the Key & Sounder detail page, there is an option near the bottom to view plan sample.  Here is the direct link:

http://www.model-engine-plans.com/engineplans/images/drawings/telegraph.jpg

Looks like it is a spring.  The actual unit is still with mom back in Colorado Springs, so unfortunately I can't look at it for more details, other than what the plans show.

Hope this helps!

Allen