Author Topic: Glad to see this forum exists  (Read 2709 times)

mflywheel

• View Profile
    • Email
Glad to see this forum exists
« on: November 12, 2009, 05:31:20 PM »
First of all I want to say that I  miss Jerry Howell.  I never met the man and only exchanged a couple of emails with him, but I do have the plans for one of his engines, the Powerhouse, and after reading about this forum I feel better that someone out there has actually finished one of the engines that I am currently working on (other than Jerry). I regret that I never had the chance to meet him even though the summer I ordered the plans for the Powerhouse I happened to visit Colorado Springs and it wasn't until later that I realized that I just might have been able to visit him.  He certainly must of been a master model engine builder. I know this for certain because I have been working for quite some time on one of his easier IC engines and I can't quite imagine what it would it would take to machine one of the more challenging engines.  More years than I probably have left.

Well in any case thanks for continuing the work of Jerry and providing this forum. I will no doubt be posting a few questions and comments in the future.

Mflywheel

dsage

• View Profile
Re: Glad to see this forum exists
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 01:00:06 PM »
 I would like to re-iterate the thanks for creating this forum. Now that Jerry is gone about all we can do is help each other it seems, and forums in general are a great way to get help.
 I have met Jerry. It was Jan.2009 at Cabing Fever (or was it 2008 ??). In any case he was a wonderful person to talk with. A very gentle temperment and always willing to help or offer his opinion on a problem / solution.
 I had also been communicating with him by email and offered quite a few corrections or comments to help improve the V4 drawings. He was always a great help in solving my misunderstandings.
 You see, I am working on a V8 version of the V4. Jerry saw the V8 engine block and the V8 heads nearly completed at Cabin Fever and when I showed them to him he remarked "Gee that looks familiar" and chuckled.
 I wish I could have shown him the completed engine. I'm about 1/2 finished now.
 I always have questions and now I feel a bit lost that I can't ask Jerry directly for the answer.

Suffice to say the hobby will miss Jerry. I don't think there is anyone who has offeried such a wide range of wonderfully produced plans, parts and instructions. I don't believe he got the credit he deserved for the contribution he has made to the hobby.
 Lots of modellers have built lots of things but Jerry actually made it possible for others to also build them in a VERY professional manner.

Dave Sage